Please keep your computers scanned and free of viruses. Users with viruses actively infecting other users will be subject to temporary disabling of Internet service until the problem is resolved. Repeated disabling for virus propagation will result in permanent termination of the account to protect others.
Here are some general guidelines to follow to help you avoid being infected with a virus.
- Do not open attachments from people you do not trust. Avoid installing software or visiting websites that does not appear legitimate. When in doubt, use common sense when using the Internet.
- Make sure your system software is up to date.
- If you are running Windows, visit Windows Update at least once a month and install all of the critical updates.
- If you are running OSX, select the Apple Menu > System Update and install your updates.
- Make sure you have some kind of antivirus software installed on your system. Here are some popular antivirus software programs:
You can purchase the USFamily Protection Pack, powered by ZoneAlarm, at a discounted rate for USFamily.Net customers. Click here for complete details and to order online.
- Keep your antivirus program up to date. Make sure you receive antivirus updates at least once a week, as an out of date antivirus program will not protect you against new viruses.
- Make sure your system is free from spyware/adware. Some antivirus programs will check for these, but not all will.
If you find yourself already infected with a virus, and do not have a current antivirus program, there are some free online scanning programs. Please keep in mind that these programs will not protect your computer from being infected; they will simply attempt to clean up a computer that has already been damaged.
For current threats and removal tools, visit Symantec's Security Response site.
If your system is still infected with viruses, we recommend that you have your computer looked at by a professional.
Did this Frequently Asked Question provide the information you were looking for? Provide us with your
Feedback and suggestions for improving this FAQ.